What to expect from your physiotherapist?
Australian physiotherapists are registered health care professionals with university qualifications. Physiotherapists assess, diagnose and treat people with movement problems. Physiotherapists also help people avoid injuries and maintain a fit, healthy body.
Physiotherapy includes a wide range of specialities that meet the health needs of different people such as babies and children, sportspeople, pregnant women, injured workers and senior citizens.
Physiotherapy programs are based on practical goals agreed between the physiotherapist and the client. Physiotherapists help people gain as much movement and physical independence as possible so they can resume their normal job or lifestyle.
When necessary, physiotherapists will consult with a client’s doctor to ensure the best possible treatment outcomes.
You can expect your physiotherapist to:
- deliver a professional service for a reasonable fee
- discuss your treatment options and agree on some treatment goals with you
- provide information about your physiotherapy program
- explain specific treatments to you
- respect your rights, dignity, privacy, feelings and cultural customs
- respect the confidentiality of your professional relationship
- communicate with your doctor if necessary
- not engage in any sexual activity with a person who is a client.